Fire And Heat In London Close Pubs How Can Anyone Survive
Record heat has scorched Britain, with wildfires raging in London and roads melting elsewhere in the country.
The heat at Heathrow Airport hit 104.4 degrees Fahrenheit mid-afternoon on Tuesday, setting a national record. In East London, a grass fire sparked and burned down at least five homes. Other fires broke out in nearby London suburbs.
“I saw a little smoke, I walked around and saw a small fire and then saw it just go up. I’ve never seen anything like it,” Walter Martin told the Daily Mail, who owns a pub near where a massive grass fire started.
Meanwhile, in Wennington, East London, Pubs were forced to close windows and doors due to the intense smoke.
This is in London, where let’s just say, AC is still a Luxury.
The fire list,
On Tuesday, the London Fire Brigade deployed:
- Thirty fire engines and 175 firefighters to a grass fire on Pea Lane in Upminster, where smoke billowed over the M25 motorway
- Twelve engines to Uxbridge Road in Pinner to tackle a fire involving garden fencing and trees
- Ten engines to a restaurant fire on Green Lanes in Southgate, where about 70 firefighters were at the scene – the building was destroyed, and a woman was taken to hospital.
- Eight engines to a grass fire on Oaks Road, Croydon
- Fifteen engines to a grass fire on Ballards Road, Dagenham
- Twelve engines to a fire at The Broadway, Wembley
- Six engines to a grass fire on Sunningfields Crescent, Hendon
- Four engines to a grass fire over an area of about one hectare (2.5 acres) of woodland and undergrowth on Chapel View in Croydon
- Four engines to a fire on Sidcup Road, Eltham
- Ten fire engines to Hawthorne Avenue, Kenton, where a car wash, two semi-detached houses, and nine vehicles were ablaze
All of the fires were successfully brought under control.
No reports yet on Pubs burnt, though multiple pubs shuttered due to closed windows. My advice to my brothers on the other side of the pond. Make your own home bar where you can be like an American and have AC and stock good American Bourbon like Terebelo. Truth be told, I don’t trust you will turn on an A/C.